Thread: Another Billy "Falcon" Connolly....J.A.M. '86 tribute guitar

Default Another Billy "Falcon" Connolly....J.A.M. '86 tribute guitar

Scored this guy as my newest acquisition. The one and the only J.A.M. '86 benefit guitar, built by the man himself; Billy "Falcon" Connolly; now long-dead. This was confirmed by 3 former Kramer employees to be 100% legitimate and original. Signed by everyone who participated in this benefit back in 1986, including 'ol Bruce Springsteen himself somewhere on there!

Here's one for Kramer history here, specs as follows:

- 1-piece LaSiDo "pointy droopy" neck
    - Swamp ash solid body
    - ESP Flicker tremolo w/ Floyd nut
    - Schaller tuners
    - Unidentified "custom" pickup and original knob

Here she is:

Spot it in the video!

Have at 'er!

One more from home (with crap-cam engaged)...in the case next to the single it's featured AND pictured on!
    Last edited by Mcniggleston; 12-28-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    -Matt

Current Axes:
    Lefty '78 Hondo Lawsuit Stratocaster
    Lefty '81 Westone Thunder I
    Lefty '83 Westone Concord II
    Lefty '83 Electra Phoenix X635 Bass
    '86 Billy "Falcon" Connolly J.A.M. '86 Custom
    Lefty '87 Kramer Baretta
    Lefty '93 Kawai Rockoon RF-38
    Lefty '02 Gibson SG Crescent Moon Special
    Lefty 2010 Mutt Grim Reaper custom

Wow! was that the one on the bay?? I was looking into it, the seller didn't want too much for it I rekon.

Congrats to you. So how does a left-handed guitar player play a righty?

Quote Originally Posted by switchone View Post
    Wow! was that the one on the bay?? I was looking into it, the seller didn't want too much for it I rekon.
    That's the one! I was back and forth with the seller for 3 days gathering information and bouncing it off my "sources" to confirm it's legitimacy before I bought it...it checked out and he was super cool to deal with. Now I've got Kramer history in my arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Hudson View Post
    Congrats to you. So how does a left-handed guitar player play a righty?
    Oh, this ones strictly to be collectible...I can't play it at all upside down, and nor would I want to remove the signatures even if I could. It'll have a COA for it pretty soon, as well.
    Last edited by Mcniggleston; 12-27-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    -Matt

Current Axes:
    Lefty '87 Kramer Baretta

Congrats it's kool owning a piece of Kramer History, Killer wall hanger!

Hey Matt, to me it looks like a Striker 100ST with an ESP Flicker tremolo.. Cool in its own right but yeah I don't think it's American.

17,992 posts and I'm retired. Thanks guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Highway View Post
    Hey Matt, to me it looks like a Striker 100ST with an ESP Flicker tremolo.. Cool in its own right but yeah I don't think it's American.
    Agreed. It still has a cool historical value to it though.

Nor did I at first, which I why I asked 3 people to confirm it was a legitimate build; Similar to the Baretta...not American at all apart from assembly. It does look like a Flicker trem, but that's no biggie; as it was a parts guitar built specifically for a benefit based on whatever Billy could have got his hands on laying around.

I owe George Felise the most for helping me on this one. He was good friends with Billy Connolly and had to paint this one after-hours; Billy would sometime take Kramer parts and use them for this own builds...Kramer wouldn't authorize them to be painted for him unless on the down-low. He painted a lot of guitars...but this benefit from '86 was a memorable one to him and 100% his paint work. It's a solid swamp ash body; no ply here at all.

Steve Z, also a buddy of Georges and worked in the neck room; confirmed it's a 1-piece LaSiDo neck. I don't doubt the man...he was there in person and worked there for quite a few years.

Finally, Marc Costello confirmed to me this is definitely Billy's work without a doubt in his mind. Again, he was there and knew the man; so I have absolutely no reason to doubt him. That's where I drew my info from, and I know without a doubt 3 Kramer employees wouldn't call it wrong all at the same time.
    -Matt

Current Axes:
    Lefty '87 Kramer Baretta

Yeah Man cool piece!!
    Congrats Matt!!!
    - Dave

'82 Pacer Imperial Tobaccoburst~RW neck
    '82 Pacer Imperial Candy Blue/Green burst~Maple neck
    '83 Pacer Deluxe Trans Red~Maple neck Modded P/G 1hum 1s/c
    '83 Pacer Special Black~Maple Neck
    '83 Pacer Carrera~SOLD But not forgotten
    Beak Focus 3000 Mutt Candy Blue~RW
    '84 Ibanez Roadstar II Standard Black~Maple neck
    '85 Ibanez Roadstar II Standard Cream~Maple neck
    Ibanez A/E Series Acoustic Tobaccoburst Prototype
    Ovation Celebrity CS-257 Ruby Red Quilted Maple Top

Kool piece of Kramer lore, too bad some of the sigs are faded.

Probably one of the coolest "rare" Kramer guitars to hit the bay in a long time.

Grats man and I'm happy to see it go to someone that appreciates it.

Happy NGD!

cool piece of rock history! glad someone from the forum got it (the second time around on the bay?)

The scores like yours are sweeter than any ... The back story of a guitar is far more interesting than finding even the most mint axe.. Those are just pieces of pretty wood.. Scores like yours are history..

P.s. Don't know Steve and Marc but Georgi is a riot..the wife and I think the world of him..

Congrats again
    Jack
    Depress the bar

Jack

I like it, but Matt it IS Korean. The neck is definitely not a Lasido, I owned a Striker ages ago with the same headstock. Lasido never made a neck that looked like this:

No truss rod adjustment at the head, pointy/droopy, some other telltale signs as well as with the body. The dudes who worked at Kramer back then...their memory can be spotty anymore. Like you said, Billy Falcon would take Kramer parts and put his logo on them. For one reason or another, they used a Striker that day. At least that's my 2 cents.

I saw this on the Bay, nice buy!

Although I don't understand why people here can't be happy for your recent purchase and feel the need to cut it up. That's a sick find my friend. It seems like since they personally do not own it, it MUST be junk. I suppose that the Kramer experts here WOULD know better than the people that worked at the factory for years and years. However, with the people commenting on this thread, I imagine if it were theirs, Eddie Van Halen himself probably personally built it with the help of "UNK" and then it was blessed in holy water by Jesus himself.

Needless to say, there's a reason I quit posting here so often- threads were people act like this really upset me. I don't understand why some people can't just be happy for one another.

Sweet guitar dude. Now go play it for a few minutes and enjoy the score!
    Just remember, there's a hierarchy to everything.
    Currently own a Model 6 Charvel, Kramer Proaxe Standard Prototype[S/N F9917], B-Series Pacer Deluxe
    smooth transactions with Boricua5150, TommySixGun, Transwine
    "I got posters on my walls, of my favorite rock band KISS. I got Ace Frehley, and I got Peter Kriss, waiting there for me, yeah I do..."

-Pat-

Why did this get moved to overseas... Even if it is a Striker. the fact it was assembled here would make it the build equivalent of an ESP cut american wouldn't it.. those bodies and necks were made somewhere else too.
    Depress the bar

Jack

17,992 posts and I'm retired. Thanks guys :)

I didn't see where anyone in this thread slammed Matt on that guitar nor did I even see a hint of jealousy or the guitar being referred to as junk. As others have said and clearly stated, it's a nice piece of history and a one of a kind.

One doesn't need the holy blessing from Jesus, EVH or UNK to see that it is a clearly a striker. Even the trem cover has the striker holes. But you know what? Who cares what the fuck it is. The buyer is happy and that is the point. The 2nd point is that people here try to assist by figuring out what the hell someone has....and that is half the fun sometimes trying to figure it out. So in the end, it's obviously a solid non-plywood striker that made some history in Jersey back in the day.

It's pretty cool if you ask me.

If there was a Kramer Museum, this would be in it.

Yeah no slamming at all. The only reason I only brought up the origin was because the thread was originally posted in the USA and American section. The section names mostly refer to the models--American Series etc.
    I loved my Striker back in my skool daze..same head btw.

gt_skool.jpg

Well, regardless of what parts it is...it's a legitimate Billy "Falcon" Connolly built, George Felise painted guitar to the bone. There's not many Kramers of his around (he was their AE Luthier...so his builds were only in the endorsees hands) much less his own "Falcon" builds (this one)...and since he's been dead since the 90s; this is something I'm very content with owning in my collection as purely a collectors piece.

One questions I have here:

-Why in hell would Billy take an already assembled Striker, body made of solid ash...and neck being a straight 1-piece neck/headstock...and re-assemble it when he had tons of parts around to choose from?
    Last edited by Mcniggleston; 12-29-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    -Matt

Current Axes:
    Lefty '87 Kramer Baretta

First off... I think the guitar is totally awesome! I'd like to have it in my own collection if I had the disposable income... the history, the soul/mojo, the ash body, mysterious pickup, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Mcniggleston View Post
    One questions I have here:

-Why in hell would Billy take an already assembled Striker, body made of solid ash...and neck being a straight 1-piece neck/headstock...and re-assemble it when he had tons of parts around to choose from?
    I think the fact that it doesn't have a Kramer logo, and isn't a production model Kramer is very telling.

Nice Score, Matt. The coolest guitars are the ones with the best stories, enjoy it.
    -Britt

This one was on the Bay for a month or two and I talked to the guy too when it came out. We Talked about Billy and he said the logo was jyst a decal.. I'm not surprised it's built from parts he had on hand. I have a Falcon built guitar as well and it's built with Kramer stuff he had on hand but also has non Kramer improvements. The one I have was for a Lynch magazine ad and yours was mostly for the autographes and be a rep guitar. Mine is all American parts but he didn't even wire it. It was verified as well. Very cool though, they don't necessarily represent his own custom work but they were on his bench! Very cool...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Cool guitar Matt! You do find some neat stuff.

Yeah no slamming at all. The only reason I only brought up the origin was because the thread was originally posted in the USA and American section. The section names mostly refer to the models--American Series etc.
    I loved my Striker back in my skool daze..same head btw.

gt_skool.jpg
    Cool photo, George!

I think that JAM guitar was listed on the 'bay a while back (last year?) as well. I seem to recall the seller was asking quite a bit for it.
    Cool piece. Anyone recognize any of the signatures?
    "WTF...?!"

Very cool man
    Great score - I never heard/seen one like that