Thread: Pacer Classic wiring question.

Default Pacer Classic wiring question.

I just picked up a red Pacer Classic on Ebay at such a good price I decided to go ahead and hot rod it a little bit. I have already swapped the trem for a proper Floyd Rose and also picked up a SD JB and 59 pickup set and was hoping to do an easy swap job on it. However, once I pulled to plate off of the control cavity I realized right away that it would not be an easy swap. I had forgotten about the treble bleed. Does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram for the PC? I was thinking about replacing the pots while I was at it.

Thanks!!!

If you are getting new pots, just get rid of the treble bleed, the standard pots really suck unless it's a real late Pacer in which I heard they fixed them

I went with some 1 meg ohm pots in mine and they worked out well for that guitar. you can pretty much wire it however you want. 2 vol and 1 tone. or 1 vol and 2 tones. whatever floats your boat. if you don't like that treble bleed (I don't) you can just take it out and it should be in the way of installing new pickups. you should be able to use the schematics that came with the Duncan pickups or go to the Duncan site and look in the support tab for wiring diagrams. then use the drop-down menus to find what works for you. sometimes you might combine a bit of one with a bit of another to get something perfect for your needs.

be sure to check out that thread on the neck pockets to determine if you want to check yours. after removing the paint from the neck pocket in mine, it's sounds a lot better.

Kramer: Stagey Del I, Sambora, NightSwan, Baretta I, Sustainer, Pacer Cust II, Sustainer "mutt", Pacer Classic, 1984, Pacer Vintage; Blaze Shredder, K2-1, K2-2; Jackson PC-1; ESP: Kami III, SB Tiger, Serpent, M-II Del; Washburn N2, N24F; Fender American Stand Strat; Hamer Centaura, Ibanez: Universe, RBM; Charvel Predator, San Dimas Pro Mod, EBMM Axis; Epiphone LP PlusTop Pro/FX; guitarupgrades brass & titanium

Mine's a little older model. It has the rear mounting holes for the nut on the back of the neck. So you don't think I need the treble bleed? Was kinda wanting to keep it. The wiring is nothing like I was expecting though.

17,992 posts and I'm retired. Thanks guys :)

Just replace the pots and use the old treble bleed on the new pots. If you need a wiring diagram, there are some on here and on the SD website.

Well, I figured things out and decided to keep the old pots for the time being. They do suck, but I wanted to string her up and play her for a bit. This thing really is a great guitar. I can't believe how affordable the Pacer Classics are. Stock they play really nicely, but at the price point they are perfect for upgrading. The frets need to be worked just a little bit on mine, but this thing is comparable to my Charvel SoCal at less than half the price. Now if I could just learn to play the thing worth a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biped View Post
    So you don't think I need the treble bleed? Was kinda wanting to keep it. The wiring is nothing like I was expecting though.
    then keep it if you want it. if you can't find a schematic, then break out the pen and paper. or take a few shots with the digital camera or camera phone. either way, it's a fairly easy swap. just take note of how it comes out and put it back in the opposite. I think they Epi color codes may be different than the SD colors, but there are plenty of schematics that come with the SD pickups and on the SD site.

just get a soldering iron/gun, some solder, some needle nose, a wire stripper, a well-lit area, and some tunes in the background. if it takes you a few tries, then that gives you more opportunity to 'bond' with the guitar. ;-)

Kramer: Stagey Del I, Sambora, NightSwan, Baretta I, Sustainer, Pacer Cust II, Sustainer "mutt", Pacer Classic, 1984, Pacer Vintage; Blaze Shredder, K2-1, K2-2; Jackson PC-1; ESP: Kami III, SB Tiger, Serpent, M-II Del; Washburn N2, N24F; Fender American Stand Strat; Hamer Centaura, Ibanez: Universe, RBM; Charvel Predator, San Dimas Pro Mod, EBMM Axis; Epiphone LP PlusTop Pro/FX; guitarupgrades brass & titanium