Thread: BYOGuitars "Lunatic"

Default BYOGuitars "Lunatic"

Seriously considering one. Any of you bought from BYO before? Good/bad/other? Obviously, if I do get it, the hardware & electronics will stay in the box, and I'll put an OFR, Schaller or Grover machines, and a good pickup. Either a Duncan I have in the pile, or the Lawrence I didn't use in the Yo pacer project.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

You pay what you get for.
    Hello,
    Stefano

I think it would be good purchase as long as they sent you a neck that is not twisted..put good parts on it and it would be nice! I found the byo site a few days ago also with the lunitic kit but i ordered the 84 instead,,8 payments of 87 bux,,its on the way right noy,,very happy. The new 84s are back in stock everywhere right now by the way.

I ended up getting it. Nice body, crap hardware, nice neck. The neck & body were worth the price. Sounds fantastic with a Lawrence L500 in it. an OFR, better machine heads, and a 500k pot, and I'm all set.

wow!! really man.. Thats great to hear for that price! I really dont think you can beat it for a neck and body like that price..Ill pick 1 up asap,,thanks.
    Last edited by kotipelto; 05-05-2012 at 09:34 PM.

could you post some pics?

The 5150 replica looks great, at least in the site pics she does...

With the right hardware and electronics could be a great player also...

Just my 2 cents here...
    My neighbours always listen to good music...Either they like it or not!!!!

Glad to hear it was nice. I was seriously considering getting one of those, but figured after my time painting (which would have been a shitty job anyway) and buying upgraded parts, I would be into it over $300. I bought another pacer as "Used" from an online retailer for $250. Not a scratch or ding on it.

Post some pics of yours when you get a chance. Id like to see it
    kramerSquatch

I haven't decided how I'm going to paint it, but I'll put up some "naked" pix shortly. A buddy is buying the 5150 from BYO - I guarantee I'll be the one assembling & setting it up for him, so I'll report on it as soon as it happens. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is the paint. I'm thinking neon green with black hardware. Any better suggestions?

Here she is:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/...BYO%20Lunatic/

Let me know what you think.

Looks alright for what it is. Tilt back HS as well....different.
    How she play?

Smooth. Neck it a hair thicker/rounder than I'm used to (I've grown fond of the focus ESP necks), but it's got a nice, solid feel. And, with the Lawrence in the basswood body, it has pretty decent tone. Maybe a hair on the thin side, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little less treble and a little more bass on the preamp.

metalic pearl green or sparkle blue, heavy sparkle any color. Yeah thats it! Sparkle metalic green.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInCLE View Post
    I ended up getting it. Nice body, crap hardware, nice neck. The neck & body were worth the price. Sounds fantastic with a Lawrence L500 in it. an OFR, better machine heads, and a 500k pot, and I'm all set.
    I want to get one and put parts from one of my kramers on it. My main questions are do the trem posts match up with an original floyd and how good of a fret job is on the neck? As long as it doesn't have pokey frets I'd probably get it, I'd rather have a strat style headstock though. Also does the trem rest flat against the body or does it float?

The posts are a fit for an OFR. It comes with a really cheap licensed. Technically, it floats. It's a recessed setup. But, the cavity is routed in such a way that the tone block rests against the body. So, no pulling back on it. The neck isn't bad. It isn't as thin as I prefer, as I really like the ESP necks, but if you like a strat neck, you'll probably like this. Definitely not cutting my hand on the edges. All in all, if I had it to do over, I'd have just found a comparable body, instead of getting the kit. I really like the body. I have a neck I bought for a Yo Pacer project that I put on this one, along with a Lawrence L-500, and a licensed FR-II I had on the bench. When I get a few extra bucks, I'm going to upgrade to an OFR.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
    I want to get one and put parts from one of my kramers on it. My main questions are do the trem posts match up with an original floyd and how good of a fret job is on the neck? As long as it doesn't have pokey frets I'd probably get it, I'd rather have a strat style headstock though. Also does the trem rest flat against the body or does it float?