Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Rose Nut Widths

Default Floyd Rose Nut Widths

Sticky by request. Thanks to our very own RockStringBender for the info:
    Chris

Originally Posted by RockStringBender View Post
    R1: narrow: Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30?; Radius: 10"

R2: standard: Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37?; Radius: 10"

R3: wide: (narrow string spacing for bound neck), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.40?; Radius: 10"

R4: wide: (wide string spacing), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.43?; Radius: 10"

R5: extra wide. Width: 1-3/4"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.50?; Radius: 10"

R6: R1 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30?; Radius: 10"

R7: R2 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37?; Radius: 10"

R8: R4 with flatter radius. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.43?; Radius: 15"
    -------------------------
    Chris

That's some great info. I put it away for safe keeping, just in case.

So do both R3 and R4 nuts work on a 1 and 11/16" wide fretboard? Which of these has the standard Fender spacing?

yeap...neither... the difference is at the nut... not the bridge... hope that helped
    later Rick
    KRAMER WHORE

Hm, guess i didn't really word my question right. Is it the r3 or r4 that more closely resembles the string spacing on a standard Fender nut?

this may be dumb ass question but what are the different sizes for? do they raise the strings? or space them different? or are can you put any nut on any guitar?

Scott
    Kramer Pacer Imperial FF-Blue
    Kramer PCI Trans-Blue
    Kramer Pacer Deluxe Black
    Kramer Nana Focus 3000 Candy Red
    Kramer Striker 200 "Candy Cane"
    Peavey 5150 II Stack
    Soldano SLO-100
    G.I joe with kung fu grip
    My collection:
    http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...0/P1000144.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sstraub5150 View Post
    this may be dumb ass question but what are the different sizes for? do they raise the strings? or space them different? or are can you put any nut on any guitar?

Scott
    all of the above are true. you can't put any nut on any guitar unless the neck is cut or shimmed for it . Fret height makes a difference too
    1989 Neon Pink Sustainer w/ bound claw neck - FOR SALE
    Peavey Vandenberg
    1983 Fender MIJ Custom Brad Gillis Strat
    Tacoma DM-10E acoustic
    Vai Flame project in the works! - for sale if anyone is interested
    87 Neon Green Ibanez RG550 repaint - SOLD
    86 Charvel/Jackson Model 1 Black and creme bullseye! - SOLD

the different nut sizes are mainly for the width of the neck you are putting it on
    later Rick
    KRAMER WHORE

And the radius of course.

Also, for the tiny rest of the world outside USA who use metric measures:

- Sergej

"We look forward to headlines about record cold temperatures during the December climate summit, and to hearing desperate speeches about stopping irresistible global warming during the signing ceremony, held during a blizzard."

Quote Originally Posted by sstraub5150 View Post

Scott
    Standard Fender=1 5/8th"=R2
    Standard Gibson=1 11/16th=R3&R4

R3 has R2 string spacing and is used with bound necks to avoid playing on the binding. You can basically put smaller nuts on if you want (as long as it's comfortable. An R5 neck with a R2 nut doesn't make sense). R5 neck can have a R4 nut, other way around does not work
    Pel Custom Guitars & Tube Ampz
    http://www.pelcustomguitars.com

Custom LesPel --> BTR2000 --> Nady TD1 - Big MUFF pi - Keeley TS9 Flexi --> Keeley Cry Baby --> Marshall 36 Watt --> 1960A/1960B Stack
    PacerC1 - Claw PacerC2 - Beak Pacer Deluxe - ClawRetta - Claw Vanguard - Maple Vanguard 'Classic V' - SpaceKline Baretta - SpaceBo Claw ProRetta - Forum IV Bass - 420S Bass (all lefties)
    http://www.myspace.com/pelcustomguitars

^ so does that mean that my Pacer Dlx with the claw neck is a R3 nut?
    --Gary

Yes, both mine are L3...(lefty )

Custom LesPel --> BTR2000 --> Nady TD1 - Big MUFF pi - Keeley TS9 Flexi --> Keeley Cry Baby --> Marshall 36 Watt --> 1960A/1960B Stack
    PacerC1 - Claw PacerC2 - Beak Pacer Deluxe - ClawRetta - Claw Vanguard - Maple Vanguard 'Classic V' - SpaceKline Baretta - SpaceBo Claw ProRetta - Forum IV Bass - 420S Bass (all lefties)

Quote Originally Posted by pel666 View Post
    Standard Fender=1 5/8th"=R2
    Standard Gibson=1 11/16th=R3&R4

R3 has R2 string spacing and is used with bound necks to avoid playing on the binding. You can basically put smaller nuts on if you want (as long as it's comfortable. An R5 neck with a R2 nut doesn't make sense). R5 neck can have a R4 nut, other way around does not work
    I know thats the Fender standard but I dont think Gibson has a standard because I've seen Les Pauls with R2 String spacing and R4
    My Gear
    Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
    Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
    Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
    Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
    Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)

1987 Marshall JCM 800 2205 and JCM 800 Lead 1960B

It's their most common neck width IIRC...back in the day. You can have thick Fenders as well

Anyone know what brand makes nuts that come fairly thin (have low action at the start of the fret board). I bought some no name top mount nut and it was high as hell. I just grinded it for a 2nd time and remounted it. Now the action is really nice, almost too low but I can correct that by slightly raising the bridge.

I mean there must be a difference and quality and performance from one brand to another even with just a nut right?

Very informative thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mtsalmela80 View Post
    Anyone know what brand makes nuts that come fairly thin (have low action at the start of the fret board). I bought some no name top mount nut and it was high as hell. I just grinded it for a 2nd time and remounted it. Now the action is really nice, almost too low but I can correct that by slightly raising the bridge.

I mean there must be a difference and quality and performance from one brand to another even with just a nut right?

Most of the noname stuff is junk, or close to it. Cheap soft steel, not flat, ect. Gotoh makes a top mount nut that is fairly low profile, one of the lowest I have seen. They also include shims with the nut.

I read the thread but I'm still confused...If I have a neck that is 1 11/16 at the nut do I use a R2 nut or R4 or maybe even an R3? I like low action, however it would appear that the R2 is a bit short by approximately .0625. It that how it should be?
    The probability of anything happening is inversely proportional to its desirability.

Search/Register Stolen Guitars

hi chris (and others), i acquired a reissued baretta with top mount nut. the nut that came with it is a bit thin (R2)... i had to shim it in order to play without buzzing the first fret. the seller must have messed with it (meaning the nut is not original; also the hardware is black except the chrome nut; i swapped it with a black r2 nut, but it's still too thin). where can i get a taller top mount nut that won't need a shim? what's the measurement i should be looking at?

Default hey

hey all. my question is. if you have an OFR.(or any floyd system).will that be compatable with any nut size? as long as you have the correct nut for your neck?
    thanx,mark.
    The beatings will continue,until moral improves!!!

i believe so. lock nut must match the width of the neck where headstock meets. that's what matters. otherwise it wouldn't play right; the strings will either be too close together or too far apart. otherwise you will have something like this (nut is too small for the neck):

the pic is from midnight_highway.

There's width, and there's height....

Bottom line, the R1-5 widths above mentioned by Chris are correct...if you choose to you can scale one size down (R5 to R4/R3, R4/R3 to R2 etc.) if you feel more comfortable with that.

Height, yes I think I mentioned this before...none of my 'new' nuts fit the old Kramers...they are just too high. So I managed to get a few lower ones from the forum bros right here This is a real problem for me, I wish Floyd Rose still made them old specs nuts...but I guess we have to live with shaping of new Nuts or shimming the old ones if needed

that's right... how can i not think about the height?! especially when recently i had a problem with the nut height of my reissue! yes. width and height.

Default great info

Thanks all!

Default I have tried to follow, But?

If I have a kramer neck set up for an r5 nut width wgich I believe is 1 3/4. What floyd can I put with it? R? if I want to try to get on off ebay etc... I have not sen any that specifiy OFR r5, only r3 and r2. Thanks sorry if I am slow