1. Dear Guest, after 14 years the Kramer Forum has migrated to archive-only mode (no new posts) as of August 2016.
    A heartfelt THANK YOU to all the KF members and brothers over the last decade-plus.
    Find myself and the original KF crew at the Kramer Forum & Friends Facebook Group.

Can you help confirm that this is a 1983 Pacer Special?

Discussion in 'Kramer ID and Reference' started by jmfranc, Jul 25, 2016.

1. jmfranc

jmfranc Kramer Maniac

Trying to confirm that this is a Pacer Special. Input jack is on the side and not on top (the previous owner added the chrome plate and replaced the barrel input) but has the single tone and single volume w mini switch. All wiring looks period correct. No holes in back of headstock for allen wrench holder. Has the Sports "bottom of a boat" neck profile. No markings on the neck at all. And which Seymore Duncan is this with the DDJ sticker? Bottom of pickup route looks like a "VM" marking - any more info on this would be great. The tremolo route is original w a period correct looking Floyd. I know Kramer was all over the place in '83 but want to make sure this is a Special rather than a Standard that happened to have a Floyd on it. Any info would be great! I also attached a picture of the guitar from their '83 catalog - is that the Special or Standard? Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. KickstartMyHeart

KickstartMyHeart Kramer Kingpin

Besides the unnecessary molested jackplate this looks like a very fine Special in almost closet-queen condition from the pics. The DDJ would be a Duncan Distortion wound by Maricela Juarez (J) - the SH6.

3. jmfranc

jmfranc Kramer Maniac

It's in awesome shape and just doing some fact checking on it. Thanks for the confirm!

4. jmfranc

jmfranc Kramer Maniac

Is the Duncan Distortion any good? I LOVE the Duncan '59 but the name suggests it is more like a Dimarzio Super Distortion. Any similarities? And I'm assuming it is the original pickup for the Pacer Special. Right?

5. menace2

menace2 Kramer Master

Not the original.

Schaller pickups were used in 83'.

That being said you can split the DD and get a very nice clean single coil sound from the DD. Just be sure you use a push pull pot and leave the DeWalt in the drawer.

6. jmfranc

jmfranc Kramer Maniac

Thank you for the killer info! Which Schaller pick up should actually be in there?

7. jmfranc

jmfranc Kramer Maniac

Was it the Schaller Ultra Specs?

8. menace2

menace2 Kramer Master

Most likely a Schaller 2 in 1 in a Pacer Special.

That or a Golden 50's is what they were using at the time.

Both of mine have the 2 in 1s

Just finished cleaning up and shooting a picture of my Trans Red 83

[​IMG]

9. RSB's Ghost

RSB's Ghost Kramer Master

I love the DD especially the early ones- they are kinda misnamed because you would think they were kinda dirty and muddy with distortion in the name but they are actually real aggressive but seet, nice bite, tight freqs and wide open they rock a tube amp out.