PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 'Special'?? Call me crazy, but...

AndyK
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
THIS is the shape and headstock that should be made in the better version, not the current 'Baretta' with the straight pickup!

Anyone take this $180 guitar, have it routed for a Floyd, change the pickup to a JB, and start rockin?

http://images.kramerguitars.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Doublecut/Baretta-Special/Gallery-Images/KPBSVWCT1-Finish-Shot.jpg

withoutasound
03-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I believe ive seen people modding these several times, there should be a thread about it.
here:
http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52884

DarthPhineas
03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
will the nut shelf even take a locking nut?

and if it would, what would it cost to have it routed for an OFR... and the cost of the OFR... and putting a Duncan in there? seems like they could put a Kramer lic FR on this one and have about the same price point of the PC, although I'd like to see it in something other than mahogany.

but yeah, there should be a law against putting out a Kramer without a FR.

AndyK
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I agree, use the same licensed FR as the ones on the PC - making the Baretta Special more like the classic from '86!

I can hear the "pings" from using the 'vintage' style trem right now!

Ed Hunter
03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I agree i hote the 84's headstock and body. this is a much nicer cut which is why i am pondering getting one. I think you have to use a behind the nut lock though?

DarthPhineas
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
'The 84' seems more like an ESP, since they were doing the non-tilt hockey sticks. but make no mistake, they are getting great reviews and I'd still make room for it in my stable.

wish I would've jumped on the '85 Reissue when they were still out. :drool

mmmtacos
03-30-2012, 10:19 PM
You can't route the board because there isn't anything to route. It's like a LP nut. If it were like a Strat with e "trem nut" which rides in a slot in the extended fret board, then you would have something to work with.

You can still get the Kahler style "behind the nut" locking nut. I've had 3 Charvels (Model series) and they do just fine for my purposes

On the 84 - it isn't a Baretta. It's a copy of Eds 1984 which was a pacer special with the head glued up and modded into a hockey stick:).

It was a misprint to call it an '84 Baretta and most people don't realize the different (this forum not included)

jumbowolfe
03-31-2012, 08:26 AM
After looking at mine closely, I'm pretty sure u could take out the existing nut and create a shelf rather easily. Once I get done w another project I'm going to try it.

BTW, the mohagany body is the shit!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

MrScary
03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
With as AWESOME as this guitar is don't be surprised if they make one with a Licensed FR. I'm sure that somewhere down the line there will be levels of every guitar that they have like the Pacer. These guitars are SOOOOOOOO cool. I use mine daily. The mahogany body is the best idea they've had. I'm serious. It sings and growls and everything in between. It gets my vote for the "guitar of the year" hands down.

Mik Crone
03-31-2012, 10:30 AM
I prefer the 84. the music yo ones did the 85 baretta with the baretta special head stock and the 84 like ed's. different beasts.

DarthPhineas
03-31-2012, 05:05 PM
On the 84 - it isn't a Baretta. It's a copy of Eds 1984 which was a pacer special with the head glued up and modded into a hockey stick:).

It was a misprint to call it an '84 Baretta and most people don't realize the different (this forum not included)

yeah, it's confusing when they call it that on kramer.com. having had 2 original Barettas myself, it's a bit of a shock to see them do that.

mmmtacos
03-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I prefer the 84. the music yo ones did the 85 baretta with the baretta special head stock and the 84 like ed's. different beasts.

Yeah I miss Yo. USA made (or atleast assembled:D) with Schaller hardware for under a 1K.

I still have an 85 Baretta RI and a JS. Had an 84 but sold it like a dumbass:D

I'd bet those mahogany bodies are the shit though. My slab bodied Gibbys sound great